Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10K

I should start this post off by stating that I have never been a runner. Sure, I'll run a mile or two on the treadmill at the gym before lifting weights, but my athletic abilities growing up never rendered me a runner. My talents tend to lie in strength and flexibility, not endurance. So, as you can imagine, my attempts at long distance running have been few and far between. That is until this year, when I decided that I was going to run my first 10K.

The Monument 10K in Richmond, VA is one of the biggest races on the East Coast. Yep, I ran with about 40,000 of my closest friends. It is also known for being a high energy, exciting race to run with live music, sponsors and crowds of people cheering you on. Those who don't run in the 10K manage to turn the festivities into a mid-morning, tailgating event - boozing from the comfort of their Monument Avenue balconies while the rest of us unsuccessfully work our way through cramps, sweat and tears.

Okay, okay. It's not that bad. The race was actually a lot of fun! I ran with a good friend of mine and we kept each other motivated, and more importantly, entertained the entire way. In addition to finishing in a pretty decent amount of time (by my standards), I was also very excited at what I had just accomplished. And I'm actually considering signing up for another 10K in the fall... which I should probably do soon, before all of my adrenaline runs out.


Learn more about the Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10K

No comments: