It's hard to get excited about decorating for Christmas when you live in a small, urban apartment with a roommate... while also living on a budget. However, the designer/crafter in me couldn't resist incorporating some holiday flare into my humble abode. Here are a few ways that I decorated without breaking the bank. I also have some ideas for extra craft projects listed below.
Garland - borrowed
Candle Sticks and Holders - borrowed
Mini Tree - $5 (Ben Franklin)
Silver Balls - $1 (Target)
Small Knit Stockings - $3 each (Target)
Red Basket - borrowed
Pine Cones - FREE
Vintage Tool Box - $8 (Williamsburg Antique Store)
White Spray Paint - $5
Linens & Red Napkins - borrowed
Wine Bottle - reused
Ball Jars - reused
Holly Sprout - FREE
TOTAL COST - $25
A few other craft projects that I have in mind:
- Create hand-drawn designs on red & green tea towels (Bleach Pen Idea from Design*Sponge Home).
- Use an old shutter to create a holiday card holder (similar to this magazine rack).
- Embellish my gift wrapping with free printable tags like these from My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia.
- Make another string of garland using green yarn and pages from old novels.
- Construct my own advent calendar (here are a bunch of great ideas from Creature Comforts).