Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ellwood Café

I've spent the past few days visiting friends and family in Richmond. The other day, I came across this new eatery and thought I'd share with anyone who lives in the area.

Now, if you're from Richmond, you undoubtedly know what Ellwood Thompson's is. For those that don't, it's an all-natural grocery store that buys most of its produce from local farmers. Late last year, it opened up a coffee shop/café right across the parking lot in Carytown called Ellwood Café. Until recently, I hadn't gotten a chance to go. Wait, that's not true. I once got a delicious Chai Latte on a quick shopping stint. So let me rephrase that. I hadn't gotten the chance to sample the food. And wow... was I missing out.

This quaint, hole-in-the-wall café reminds me of something you'd find in Seattle or Portland (they say Richmond has a similar mentality of those two places, so it's no surprise we have similar coffee shops). None of the chairs match. Hip kids working behind the counter. There are old books and boardgames on the shelves. And the food is fantastic — all natural and fresh. Mmmm, delish!

No comments: